There are several opportunities within Breakthrough Twin Cities to donate your time – and believe us, it helps. Teacher selection, student selection, even college essay coaching: all of it relies on people who want to help our students achieve their full potential.
TEACHER WELCOME BREAKFAST
- Help with food preparation & meal service for 50 faculty & staff on their first morning of Summer Orientation!
- Location: Mounds Park Academy
- June 11th, 2018, 7:00 – 9:30 AM
- 6 volunteers needed
- Morning Route: 6:30 – 7:30 AM
- Afternoon Route: 2:45 – 3:45 PM
- Two Sites (Mounds Park Academy & Central High School)
- Flexible schedules (if we can pair up with other drivers)
- Summer Dates: June 25 – August 3
- No Program on July 4th
- Extra Saturday (August 4th)
CELEBRATION! DECORATING & POTLUCK
- Decoration & Set-Up (Day before)
- Help us move and assemble decorations and display items
- August 3rd, 2018 – 3 PM – 6 PM
- 3 volunteers needed at each of our summer sites (Mounds Park Academy & Central High School)
- Decoration & Potluck Set-Up/Service (Day of)
- Help us finalize decorations and set up our potluck for families, start meal service
- August 4th, 2018
- 6 volunteers needed at Central High School (9 AM – 1 PM)
- 6 volunteers needed at Mounds Park Academy (3 PM – 6 PM)
- Potluck & Clean-Up (Day of)
- Help us finish meal service, serve dessert, and clean up food spaces
- August 4th, 2018
- 6 volunteers needed at Central High School (12 PM – 4 PM)
- 6 volunteers needed at Mounds Park Academy (6 PM – 10 PM)
TEACHER SELECTION COMMITTEE MEMBER
Our Teacher Selection Committee is key to the process that we utilize to select our high school and college-aged teaching fellows. Each year, applicants are invited to either attend an interview event in person or participate in the remote interview process. Committee members will observe sample lessons, evaluate applicants’ application materials, and provide valuable feedback to Breakthrough staff. We rely heavily on the expertise and feedback of our Selection Committee members to fully consider each applicant and make informed selection decisions. No prior teaching experience is required.
Committee members commit to:
- Reviewing anywhere between 1 to 5 candidates per week remotely
- Any number of weeks between January and March 2018
If you are interested in being involved, please fill out the form linked at the top of this page or email email@example.com.
STUDENT SELECTION COMMITTEE MEMBER
Our Student Selection Committee is essential to the process that we utilize to select our students. Volunteers receive training and guidance on how to review and assess student applications. Committee member read applicant short essay responses and evaluate applicants’ application materials – providing valuable feedback to Breakthrough staff.
If you are interested in being involved next year, please fill out the form linked at the top of this page or email firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate that you are interested in Student Selection Committee.
COLLEGE ESSAY COACHING
Support a rising senior as they hone their personal essay to be submitted on their college applications!
Note: We have completed our recruitment season for 2017, but please check back in Spring 2018 for next year’s opportunities!
What Does a College Essay Coach Do?
The College Essay Coach is a volunteer position. They work to support to one of our high school rising seniors in the process of considering options and applying for college. In April, the Coach will meet with a student to discuss, edit, and strengthen the personal essay. This ensures that all of our students submit their strongest applications to various colleges and universities.
Coaches work one-on-one with a student during a half-day writing retreat, helping to develop a strong, first draft of their college essay. Coaches will commit to approximately 10 hours of service during the months of May/June.
- Participating in a 3-hour training with BTC Staff
- Participating in a half-day writing retreat with students
- Giving feedback regarding strengths and challenges of College Essay Coach Program for future improvement
- Promoting Breakthrough Twin Cities’ mission to help motivated students overcome adversity in order to prepare for college
- Ability to attend half-day writing retreat AND one training
- Commitment to Breakthrough Twin Cities’ mission
- Ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds
- Some experience working with young people and/or desire to work with young people
- Dependability and willingness to be flexible
- Strong writing skills and ability to effectively and constructively convey feedback
- Excellent attention to detail
- Commitment to follow through with students, even if challenges arise
- Currently in pursuit of bachelor’s degree OR have earned a 4-year degree
- Preferred: some tutoring or mentoring experience
ADDITIONAL VOLUNTEER NEEDS
If you have an interest in any of the volunteer positions listed below, please contact us at email@example.com to learn more about our current needs. Thank you!
- Event planning and execution
- Language translation
- Financial literacy presenter
- Supply drive coordinator
- Guest speaking
- Career panel
- Host a company tour for students
- Host a job shadow student
- Resume and interview skills support